Saturday, March 18, 2023

Yes, I'm an idiot also

 I occasionally purchase magic DVDs.   Much prefer books, but occasionally there'll be either a sale, or some particular information that I want that is best presented in graphic format.

And most of the time, I'll flip through the DVD and watch just the part I'm interested in.   I'll especially do this if I'm conversant with the rest of the DVDs' contents.

This is stupid.   This was driven home recently.

Years ago, I picked up the Johnny Thompson 4 DVD set "Johnny Thompson's Commercial Classics of Magic".

And I super-briefly scrolled through them, concentrating mainly on my lunch, since I knew so much of the material already.

Well, after my finding that the CUTTING THE ACES routine was HUGELY different from what I knew, I decided to watch all 4 volumes.   And actually pay attention.

I ended up with a list of about a dozen items....11 of which I already "knew".   And these items contained hints and tips, and tiny pointers that I would never have come up with on my own in a million years.

And it's these hints and tips and pointers that elevate a trick.   Maybe not a ton, but I'll accept anything I can get.

For example - THE ENDLESS CHAIN game.  Used to do this myself.  Rarely though, since there's no ending for it, and I couldn't figure one out.

Mr. Thompson did.  And when I saw it, I almost wept.   So obvious.  So "of course."  And so beyond my thinking.   THIS ONE BIT has made the trick performable.  What's THAT WORTH!?!?!?!?

And even worse was the trick called "The Travelers - Card in Envelope".   I've known about this trick for years.   I hated the entire idea of it, since about 1/2 the sleight of hand....and there's a ton....but about 1/2 wouldn't fool Mr. Magoo in a dark room.

Well.    I stand corrected.

The moves - correctly done - flew past myself and my wife.

I knew the move had to have been done...but darned if I could see it.

Now, I'll be spending the next few months updating my skills and my thinking.

Because I'm an idiot.   And I bet you are too!

www.LarryBrodahl.com

www.BestOmahaMagician.com


No comments: